There are many reasons for an office move; expansion through growth, downsizing or even just a necessary change of location. Ultimately, the whole process can be exciting as it can show intent for the future of a company. However, it can also be a long drawn out affair if not planned efficiently or if you make one of the common mistakes.Office moves can have a big affect on the business as well as the employees and clients; in fact, it is thought that over a week of working days is lost as a result of office moves. For this reason, the process has to remain efficient for it to prevent disruption. Luckily, we have eight top tips for a successful move.
1. Plan, Plan, Plan - The best thing you can do to ensure a successful move is plan; if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. This should begin even before you have decided on a new home for your business. You need to consider what equipment will need to come with you, what filing systems will be following you, how much space you need to operate, etc. This is especially true for those that are downsizing because you may need to sacrifice a few items.
If you have a plan ready to put in place, you will be able to get your business back up and running again as soon as possible. In an ideal world, your clients will not be affected by your move in the slightest so if you can’t achieve this by yourself, it may be worth calling in a specialist.
2. Budget - Setting a budget for the process can be important because if you don’t, it can soon spiral out of control; try to decide upon a budget and stick to it as closely as possible. Just like planning, this will help to prevent a disruption to the services your company offers. Try to factor in the costs in as much detail as possible:
- Do you need new equipment?
- Do you need to set up a new phone/internet line?
- Do you need to purchase moving vans or hire help?
- Do you have to pay to return your current address back to its original state?
If you manage to implement a realistic budget, there will be no nasty surprises a couple of weeks down the line when you finally receive all the appropriate invoices. It is also important to stay on top of this budget so appoint someone to be in charge and let them in to all decisions before the move.3. Enlisting The Help Of A Professional Design Build Company - Regardless of the size of your business, and the type of office space you are moving to, enlisting the support of a professional commercial design build company is a smart move that will help you make the most of your new workplace regarding space, design and functionality.
There are a number of benefits that come from enlisting the help of a commercial design build company:
- Workplace appraisal of your existing space to evaluate how it is being used.
- Helping you to assess potential new properties for your business.
- Office design services customized to your brand.
- Complete fit-out of your new office space.
At TruSpace, our team of experienced office relocation consultants will design and create the most efficient and useable office space that meets both your business requirements and budget.
4. Timing - A change of office has big implications of the running of the business so it is important to time the move correctly and this is something that needs to be discussed at the very beginning of proceedings. If you are in spring, just about to head into your busiest season in the summer months, you either want to try and complete the move before summer or wait until after. Your plan should help in this scenario because you will work out how long the process will take as a whole; if the risk is too high and you face the possibility of missing some of your busiest period, it may be best to wait until after.
In terms of the actual move, you need to decide what day and what time of day would be best; for example, if you wanted to really reduce downtime, stage the move during evenings or over the weekend.
5. Contact Service Providers - This is a step that many people forget but it leads to nothing except hassle in an already stressful time. This is another step that should be included in your plan of action because some service providers needs weeks if not months to make the relevant changes. For example, your internet provider may need some time to change over their services and if done at the last minute, it will just lead to more costs for your business.
Furthermore, if you have a number of suppliers for equipment, stock, or anything else, they need to be made aware of your new address or you face it turning up to the old address which again, could be costly.
6. Inform Your Team - If your team isn't being told exactly what is going on at every step of the way, the only outcome will be problems and inefficiencies. Your employees should be trusted with information as well as important tasks that need doing before the big move if it is to be a success. Why not hold weekly meetings to discuss how everything is coming along? This can be a great opportunity to delegate important tasks when approaching the move.
The easiest thing to do when moving office is to give yourself the responsibility for each and every task but this is completely unnecessary and will just make the process stressful. Use your team wisely and give them roles to make the process easier.
7. Contact Clients - Some people think that letting a client know isn't high up the order of priorities but it is an important step to a successful move. The best way to do this is to send out a universal letter or email informing your clients of the basics of your move. You should include:
- The date of the move
- The new address
- Contact information if there are any questions
- Reassurances that they will not be affected at any point
If you decide upon an evening or weekend move, it is a good chance for everyone to see each other out of smart suits and office wear which invites a more casual atmosphere and opportunities to get to know each other on a more personal level. When you get back into the flow of things, your team will be much stronger together.
An office move can be stressful but as long as you remember these tips, you will have all the tools necessary to be successful before, during and after the move.
TruSpace have 30 years of experience in designing and building truly inspiring office spaces your business and your people deserve. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you would like to learn more about our innovative all-inclusive design build service.